Tokyo Music Competition
- When will I be informed of whether my application was accepted?
- The result will be notified by post by around Monday, May 20, 2019. Those who applied online will be informed on My Page of the application portal.
- Must all pieces be played from memory?
- All performances shall be performed from memory unless it is noted to play with music at the 17th Competition. For the Wind section, there is no need to memorize the music at the first and second round.
- Can I request my performance date for the first round? When will it be decided?
- The contestants cannot request the performance date. The competition secretariat will designate the date after the application is accepted and notify the performance date along with the acceptance/rejection notice.
- I have not booked my accompanist yet. May I still apply without one confirmed?
- No, you cannot. Please apply after you booked an accompanist and fill out the accompanist information on the form during the application period.
- There are dates when my accompanist is not available among the designated performance dates for the first round. Can I request another date?
- No, you cannot. You may have different accompanists on different dates. Therefore, please apply after you have booked your accompanists for all the possible dates. Changes afterward are not accepted as a rule.
For July 2nd: John Doe
For July 3rd: Jane Doe
- May I change my accompanist after submitting my application documents?
- You cannot change your accompanist, as a rule. If, after submission, you have unavoidable circumstances, please contact the Secretariat.
- May I change the pieces I will perform after I complete my submission?
- When you apply by post, you may not change anything after completing the submission.
When you apply online, you may change it in the application portal, however, limited to only during the submission period. No changes can be made after the submission period has ended.
- I was the finalist at the previous Competition. May I be exempted from the first round?
- You would be exempted from the first round only if you placed 2nd or 3rd at the previous competition. If you did not, you are required to participate in the first round again.
- [Voice section] Am I allowed to sing what I sang in the first round in the second and final rounds?
- You cannot perform the same song twice. The pieces that you sing in the first, second, and final rounds must be different from another.
For applicants residing overseas
- I live overseas. Would I be able to ask the Secretariat to assign my accompanist?
- If you wish to have us assign your accompanist, please apply by leaving a note "I request accompanist assignment" under the "Accompanist" column. Please also note that the contestant bears the accompanist fee.
- Is there any rehearsal room onsite?
- If you wish to have us provide you with a rehearsal room, please let the Competition Secretariat know by Friday, June 7, 2019.