About our Music Library
Our Music Library has available to the general public materials on Japanese traditional music and ethnic music including opera, ballet, and classic music, and performance programs that we have been gathering and storing, since the beginning of Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, since our opening in October 1961. Please do use our room to listen to musical sources and visual materials and to do research.
Materials in our archive: Approx 130,000 pieces
Numbers of materials are all approximate numbers
- Musical source materials: 73,000 sheets
- LP 39,000 records
CD 34,000 discs
- Visual materials: 4,200 discs
- LD / VHD: 1,800 discs
- Musical scores: 34,000 scores
- Composers, musical instruments, voice music, wind instruments, opera and ballet scores, etc
- Items in the library: 20,000 items
- General music
- Musical magazines: 690 titles
- Japanese magazines: 620 titles
Western magazines: 70 titles
- Tokyo Bunka Kaikan performance programs
- April 1961 ~
Number of seats
Viewing room: 25 seats; Listening room: 30 seats
In addition, you can access our database in the room on a dedicated desktop (NAXOS Music Library, historical audio source).
We also accept telephone calls for inquiries regarding our reference services (Contact and questions regarding our materials). In regards to details, please see our section on usage.
* Please see the pages of the section on using our listening room and checking out musical parts to groups.